In 1863 the Shellharbour Wesleyan church was built and said to be “Best ecclesiastical edifice in the township” (Kiama Independent Newspaper). The “Official Opening” was held on February 26th 1865. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr John Graham and the church was linked to the Kiama Methodist Circuit.
In 1901 the church interior was renovated. There is little detail available about the renovations.
In 1962 the church was transferred to the Port Kembla Methodist Circuit and remained that way until the formation of the UNITING CHURCH IN AUSTRALIA in 1977.
In 1977 the Barrack Heights Congregational and the Shellharbour Methodist churches merged to form a Uniting Church congregation in the Shellharbour building.
In 1979 the church was extended to increase the church size and add a hall, kitchen, cry room, toilets, storage, vestry and expanded entry foyer. These extensions were Officially Opened on 16th September 1979.
In 1999 a new church manse was purchased in Coolawin Crescent Barrack Heights.
In 2006 the congregation became a member of the Assembly of Confessing Congregations (ACC).
Several study series and courses have been run at the church, most notably . . .
2000 - 2003 ALPHA
2004 “40 Days of Purpose”
2009 “Growing to be like Christ”
2011 “Understanding the Sacraments”
2012 Learning to Listen
2012 I’m Going Visiting
2012 E100 Bible Reading Challenge
2012 was a refocusing on Scripture and our church along with all other denominations in the Shellharbour area are involved with Scripture Union's E100 programme. It was exciting for us that all churches in the Shellharbour area are focusing on Scripture together using the same material.
Planned for 2013
Essential Jesus Bible Reading Challenge
Dealing with Grief
Shellharbour Village Uniting Church (as it is now known) is part of the growth and development of the area and maintains a strong and vibrant witness to the people we serve.
In a changing world Shellharbour continues to reach out with the love of Jesus maintaining a strong biblical base, and gospel message that is built on the love of Christ.
Our doors are always open to visitors, and those seeking a church living out the love of Jesus.